Tuesday, August 15, 2017

What's in a Number?

Do we measure our lives by numbers? I mean, really, let's think about it. Do we think our life is prosperous if we have a certain number of dollars in the bank?


Are we living the American dream if we have a certain number of cars in our driveway?


Are we better than others when we see the number of clothes we have in our closet?


Are we technology savvy when we examine the number of smart items we own?


Do we feel socially accepted when our list of Facebook friends exceeds a certain number?

Are we living it large when we have a house with a greater number of rooms than family members?



I could go on for a while. But my point is, it seems like more is better in every aspect of life, but one.


And that's children.



When people find out I have five children, they kind of feel sorry for me, or think I'm crazy.


How is it a person can have more material possessions and everyone envies them? But let that same person have more than the average of two children and they are no longer envied, but pitied.

 I may be tired, because I have five children. I may not get much of a break from little people all day. I might pick up hundreds of toys daily. I might change lots of diapers and constantly feed little ones. My clothes might be stained with spit up. I may not get much sleep. But hear this, my heart and arms are full.



Every hug, every smile, every coo is worth it. Hearing, " You're the best mommy ever," mutiple times over is worth it.  So, I'll continue to wash lots of dishes, fold mountains of clothes, and clean up alot of messes, because to me it's all a blessing.

Yes, it's tiring, but I'm not living for myself, I'm living for Him. And all these things remind me, that God has giving us the gift of life for another day.


So, I ask what's in a number? Well, for me, God has blessed us with five children to raise for Him. Five children to share our lives with. Five little ones to laugh with. Ten little hands to hold. Five little hearts to mold for Him. We are raising five lives that could change the world.


If you have more than the average amount of children, remember anyone can live for material things, but not everyone is willing to raise a big family.  Enjoy life, and live like every child is a blessing, because they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment