Tuesday, August 29, 2017

How Do You Measure Success?

How do you measure success? What picture comes to mind when I mention the word success? Are you only considered a success if you have a high paying job? How can you truly be successful in this life?

As a stay-at-home mom, I might get referred to as not having a 'real' job. Others may look at my unmatched clothing, my barely brushed hair, and the circles under my eyes and deem me not successful. The world might think that my mundane life isn't purposeful or of much value. But my success isn't defined by the world. My success is defined by God, who has called me to be a mommy.
Titus 2:4,5
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,
To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed."

I know what the world calls a success. In my own eyes have I fallen in the world's trap by thinking that everything I do isn't very important.  I'm not that successful business woman. I'm not climbing the career ladder, or bringing home the big paychecks.

I'm changing diapers, cleaning up accidents, kissing boo boos, cleaning everything, teaching children, playing referee, cooking, nursing a baby all day, running around juggling two or more things at one time, and so much more. What's successful about that?

Do I only call my day a success if all of my to-do list is checked off? Am I only successful if my house is spotless?  Was my day productive if everyone made it through school without a meltdown? Am I a success for only taking care of my children? Am I a success if supper turned out good? How do I measure what I do? It's nothing glamorous. How do I know what I did today was good enough?
I can't deem my day successful by comparing it to anyone else's day. I can't think, 'I got more done than her, I'm successful.' 'Or look at Julie's house, mine never looks like that, I must be successful.'
I can look at God's Word and measure what I've done to His teachings.
1 Corinthians 4:31
"Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God."

If I want to know if my day was a success and not a complete failure, I can ask myself if I tried to glorify God in everything I did. 

When my daughter was having a hard time in school, did I patiently explain to her how to solve the problem? If yes, then that was a success, because I showed her compassion.

When my two year old was fussing and getting into everything, did I yell or calmly take his hand and help him? If I helped him, that was a success. I showed him God's patience. 

When my children were fighting, and were having a hard time getting along, did I punish everyone or did I talk to them calmly? If I talked calmly, I was showing them mercy. 

All the hugs, kisses, and smiles were reminding my children that they are loved. And that's definitely a success. 

Today, I successfully pointed my children to Jesus, and that's more valuable than any paycheck. I reminded them that they are loved and wanted. I showed them that success comes in all shapes and sizes. And I showed them it doesn't take the world to validate success, it only takes God. 

So, if you feel less than successful, remember, not to measure your life to someone else. Measure your life to God. Are you living your life to bring glory and honor to Him? If you are, then it doesn't matter what the world says, you are truly successful.







1 comment: